Sunday, March 28, 2010

Musings... about Mormons?

One of the tree branches I've been walking lately is a line of folks from the Norfolk, England area. They are variously Murrells and Johnsons, with some Bassingthwaightes thrown in for good measure. I was going merrily along, adding in some potential distant cousins to my database... when I hit a patch of polygamist Mormons. Now I think I'm getting carpal tunnel syndrome...

While not a Mormon myself, I know that there are quite a few Mormon families scattered through the family tree. This group that I was looking at today originated in Suffolk, England and settled in Utah in the U.S.A. I would love to know what the impetus was for packing up everything, heading for North America, and then traversing most of the continent to arrive at their destination! Things must've been tough in England. Why else would you risk your family's lives by undertaking such a journey?

0 comments: